Monday 7 October 2024

Adopt a Road or a Lane or a Primary Health Centre or Aganwadi

 

Adopt a Road Signage ( Source - Facebook)

While browsing on Facebook I saw this image ☝️, posted on the Facebook page of Kerala Association of Greater Washington - KAGW   

Such initiatives is  a good example of the involvement of public in a community initiative. While I was writing this, I was thinking of October 2nd cleaning which is usually done at schools, colleges and now it's done by residents in many resident association. 

On October 2nd, I was going home and I saw a group of men and women from the lane with brooms and spades. Well, it was good to see them doing the cleaning work. Well, I went past them without giving an eye contact. πŸ˜‹

Even though I have my house here, I'm not familiar with the residents here. They just are like strangers! What a Shame! 

Btw, I do regular road cleaning of the road by myself. Though not consistent, I do take pride in my habit of cleaning the leaves, plastic bottles, cigarette buds etc left by public on the road. And, the waste that I pick is taken to my house and dropped in the waste pit. 

I guess few people will take road waste and take it to their compound, especially whey the property is just under 5 cents! So, kudos to myself on doing this. Also, happy to see some citizens doing it on October 2nd.

Btw, what kind of adoption can be taken in our state or country? Also, I like the simple board which was kept to make the adoption!


1. Adopt a road or lane ( Lane can be adopted by the residents) This is practical when all or most people join hands to work or contribute to the purpose. 

2. Adopt a Primary Health Centre or Clinic - 🏨

Walk into a primary health centre and it's easy to notice the bare facilities with which they are functioning. The door mat would have been in bad shape, the wall paint would need a retouch, the ceiling fan would need a replacement or the mops used would be threadbare, and many other thing.

Probably, the medical supplies too will in short supply. Well, that's a limitation of our of our system for which there is no easy solution. This is where private contribution is important. ( What if a business or a high net worth person sponsor all these requirements to a primary health centre). Let's say he or she is willing to spend somewhere around 30k a month to make the facilities in order. πŸ’–

I was been to  Primary Health Centre at Venpalavattom for taking tetanus injection. It was free of cost injection.  Now, it would have been great if I had donated something back when my fortunes are better.

Same way, anyone can do such kind of contribution. Also, if would be great if there was a notice board which shows the things they require as donation - Fan, Air cooler, Door mat, New Stretcher,πŸ›️ or Wheel chair, new stand to keep drip bottles, etc. 

What if the near by KIMS Health ( the mega healthcare centre) sponsors a part of such facility of this centre! It would definitely be a heart warming gesture. I bet such voluntary support will gain a ton of goodwill from the public to the contributor. Here I said KIMS as an example. It could be Lulu Mall, which is hardly 500 meters from this centre or it could be jointly done by the builders who have new apartments mushrooming around KIMS area ( Favorite Homes,  )  . 

3. Adopt a Aganwadi πŸ‘©‍🍼

Have you been or seen aganwadi in rural areas? Most buildings are just one or two room structure. I wish someone contributes items that will help the staff to work efficiently in such places. It wouldn't cost much. Probably, they would require drinking water facility, or a table fan or a mat to toddlers to play or toys 🧸to keep the kids entertained. ( Probably, a Malayalee NRI group from US or UK can sponsor an aganwadi) All it would take would be around 10 to 20k a month to provide good facilities to an aganwadi in rural area. What say?


Curious Konnections 

No comments:

Post a Comment