Tuesday 28 May 2024

Summer Pleasures

 

Mango Slices

Somehow, by the intersection of many celestial events I get blessing from the mango gods - each season for the past few years, I get homegrown mangoes. This time ( 2024) at our rented house in Trivandrum, we got more than our fair share of mangoes. 

Also, from B'lore, we had a good harvest of mangoes. Only challenge I face is the difficulty of  transporting mangoes from Domlur house to  SMVT platform 5 or 6,  and then from Kochuveli platform 3 to the exit gate. Even though I hired a porter at both stations, I had to haul,lift the wheeled bag over the stairs. Oh man, my hand hurts badly with the heavy tonnage of mangoes.The saving grace is thought of savoring chemical free mangoes.

Thanks to Railways!

One thing I always thank Indian Railways for helping people like me to bring heavy load of luggage is the train. Many a times I had carried my entire household in different bags. And, when I fill my luggage space under the allotted seat, I encroach other spots, mostly the next berth.In this way, I somehow managed to bring all things along. 


So, what are the heavy items you have carried by train?

 I bought Ikea tables. To send it home, I took it to SMVT parcel booking office for sending . For people who are booking it for the first time here are few points.


1. The parcel office at SMVT is located on the right side of the station. There's a small road which good alongside of the track. I felt good taking my scooter on the platform.

2. While booking for a parcel like this, one has to give photocopy of aadhar card. 

3. There's a form to be filled, which is give by the railway clerk.

4. Check for the sample form which is filled and pinned on the notice board. It makes the task much easy as govt forms are bit complicated for a first time person. ( Wish they kept a NOTE which says - Check this SAMPLE for reference) 

5. I paid one guy who handles things over there. It's okay to pay a small amount as an incentive for lifting and taking care of our stuff. 


Ikea Table Top at SMVT Parcel Office


I travelled in SMVT Kochuveli Humsafar train. When I reached Kochuveli it was raining heavily. Luckily I managed to get a good potter who carried my luggage. I kept my bag near the canteen and then again in the rain proceeded to get the parcel. It was a good sight to see my parcel on the front parcel bogey. And, from there, the potter carried the table top to the parcel office. I had to show the paper and got a release. 

Few things that could make things easy at Kochu Veli station 

When train stops at platforms other than 6, it becomes difficult to get a potter. Also there are few potters in this station. And these days, most people carry the trolley bags by themselves.  I wish there was some phone number to contact potters or even get some immediate assistance when a person is at other platforms. 



No comments:

Post a Comment